It's amazing how much we all take for granted during our regular daily routine. Most days, I don't think twice about hopping into the shower, making my breakfast, walking to the grocery store, doing laundry, or spending a workday in front of my computer- I just do it.
While my Dad continues to do really well, he's not able to "Just Do It". Today we slowly worked through creating new routines and starting to define a newer and much slower pace of life. It was great to have some family members and a friend come for short visits. Everyone has been surprised at how really good my dad looks- his colour is great and the sparkle is back in his eyes. He's just not the strong guy we're used to him being.
![]() |
| Dad clutching his "heart" chest support pillow while chatting on the phone |
There is lots of learning going on here- my mom and I are learning how to be caregivers and my dad is learning to be patient with himself. I can't imagine it's easy to rely on others to wash your hair, get a simple snack, or to put on the dreaded pressure stockings (that he has to wear for 2 months) but he is pretty upbeat and positive. We are all aware that his recovery still has a long road ahead, but we're doing it slowly one step at a time.
My dad is quite excited to use this blog to thank everyone for their prayers and support, as well as show off his beloved garden- the same garden he is currently banned from going near! Since I can't really argue with him on this one, I've agreed to feature a daily Unger Garden Photo (until I go home). We start today with my mom's pansies.


4 comments:
It's wonderful to see such a great photo of your Dad! He looks incredibly well given what he's been through in the last week.
The big question from Southern Ontario is this ... when Mr. Unger rings that little bell on the table beside him, who comes running?
(The pansies are gorgeous.)
Stef,
I have been in S ON the whole time this was going on and only saw it today. SO glad your dad is improving!
Seems strange to have you in SK
Your dad looks great! We're really pleased to read that he's doing well.
In an answer to LK's question about who comes running when Mr. Unger rings his dinner bell.... the theoretical answer is: whomever is closest! The true answer: Mr. Unger is resisting the bell and hasn't rung it yet. He lets his needs be known when we're with him. Since at least one of us is here (usually no further than the next room) at all times, it seems to be working out just fine!
Post a Comment