My mom thanked me for coming "home" to visit this weekend and while Saskatchewan is a place I've spent lots of time, am very comfortable and certainly hold dear in my heart, I have never actually lived there! I know my Mom was speaking figuratively and there is something very special and unique about sitting in her kitchen (no matter where it moves!) but taking off from Vancouver at dusk, looking out over mountains and ocean- that feels much more like "home" to me now.People ask me where I'm from and I'm not quite sure what to say anymore. Maybe that's an inevitable reality of living in multiple places- "home" becomes more about a stage in life, a period of time and the experience of shared relationships more than an actual physical location. Jeff routinely says, "Home is where the refrigerator is!" and I think he's probably on to something.
No comments:
Post a Comment