it's MUSTARD! While you probably think I'm crazy to waste time and effort to make mustard, one taste will convince you otherwise. Jeff loves it on roast beef, burgers and sandwiches while I love it in salad dressings, marinades or mixed with brown sugar to glaze salmon or ham. This year's batch was my 14th (if memory serves correctly) and I used Guinness for the base. It's the only Martha Stewart recipe I regularly make and its one I'm happy to share.
adapted from Martha Stewart Living Magazine
yield: ~ 3.5 cups
1 cup mustard powder
1 cup water
3/4 cup of mixed brown and yellow mustard seeds (I usually do 1/2 cup of brown and 1/4 cup of yellow)
1 1/4 cup dark beer (this year was Guinness but I have used all sorts of stouts and ales to great success)
1 1/4 cups white-wine vinegar
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
1/4 tsp. ground mace
1. In a glass measure, combine mustard powder and water. Mix well and let stand for 20 minutes.
2. In a non reactive bowl, combine beer, vinegar and mustard seeds. Add mustard powder mixture and mix well. Cover the bowl with a non-reactive plate and let sit 48 hours.
3. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Transfer to a food processor and process. If you want grainy mustard, process 1-2 minutes; for a creamier mustard, process 5-6 minutes.
4. Transfer to airtight containers and refrigerate 1 week before using to let the flavours develop. Martha Stewart says the mustard keeps for 1 month but in my experience, it keeps well for at least 6 months.
5. Enjoy!
5. Enjoy!

No comments:
Post a Comment