3 cups water, divided
ice water bath
1 cup sugar
Thinly slice lemon. Because I don't have a mandoline, I used two skewers to guide my knife (which was newly sharpened) and it worked great. Discard seeds and ends of rind.
1 cup sugar
Thinly slice lemon. Because I don't have a mandoline, I used two skewers to guide my knife (which was newly sharpened) and it worked great. Discard seeds and ends of rind.
Bring a medium saucepan of water (2 cups) to a rolling boil. Remove from heat, and add lemon slices; stir until softened, about 2 minutes. Drain, and immediately plunge slices into ice-water bath. Drain.
Bring sugar and remaining 1 cup of water to a boil and stir until the sugar dissolves. When liquid is clear and bubbling, reduce heat to medium-low. Add lemon slices, arranging them in one layer. Simmer (do not let boil) until rinds are translucent, about 1 hour.
Transfer to a cooling rack (sprayed with cooking spray so the lemons do not stick). Let stand about 24 hours to set. They will still be a little sticky, but firm. Store between layers of wax paper in an airtight container. I also saved the syrup to use in homemade iced tea and it was delicious!
No comments:
Post a Comment