After completing my marathon Term 1 at school, Jeff and I took off a few days to sleep and introduce ourselves to each other. This spring, Jeff took on roles as resident chef, janitor, laundry star, household organizer and overall wife-calmer; I think he was more in need of a break than I was.
It was good to have a few days of quiet with much sleep, a few good books and no deadlines.
For my birthday, Jeff gave me a day at Butchard Gardens in Victoria and a herb garden of my own. We spent several nights of digging bishops weed out of garden off our back deck and shared a very fun afternoon at the Hazelwood Herb Farm, a lovely local farm out in Yellowpoint, picking out herbs and coming up with a plan. I'll post photos, soon. Same with the day in Victoria (we're off this Saturday while the rose garden is still in full bloom).
It was good to have a few days of quiet with much sleep, a few good books and no deadlines.For my birthday, Jeff gave me a day at Butchard Gardens in Victoria and a herb garden of my own. We spent several nights of digging bishops weed out of garden off our back deck and shared a very fun afternoon at the Hazelwood Herb Farm, a lovely local farm out in Yellowpoint, picking out herbs and coming up with a plan. I'll post photos, soon. Same with the day in Victoria (we're off this Saturday while the rose garden is still in full bloom).
The best part of this summer has been a month-long leave I have taken from work. It has been such a welcome break and I am so thankful for the opportunity for some time off. I can't remember the last time I had a summer off and it is something I highly recommend!
Our first family visitors were my aunt and uncle from Winnipeg. They are really special to us as they officiated our wedding and have been a wonderful source of encouragement and support. It was so much fun to have them here; we had a great time walking through the very tall old growth cedar Cathedral Grove forest


enjoying a picnic and entertaining window shopping at the the eccentric country market in Coombs (note the sod roof complete with goats!)

and hiking around Englishman River Falls.


My uncle recently published a book entitled, Leaders Who Shaped Us: Canadian Mennonite Brethren: 1910-2010. I was so excited when he gave us a copy and, all bias aside, would highly recommend to all of my Mennonite Brethren blogs readers as an interesting and very thoughtful look at the individuals who significantly shaped the MB community in Canada. For those interested, check out this Christian Weekly article as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment