Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Salmon #4: Spectacular

The first time I had this dish, I was blown away by the creamy deliciousness of the crust. When I found out the ingredients, I was shocked speechless. Mayonnaise on salmon? Seriously? If I had not tasted it, I would never have believed it to be as amazing as it is.  It's so delicious that even 2 year olds who were dubious about trying salmon have been witnessed inhaling adult sized portions.  Seriously.

adapted from our friends P & H
serves ~3

2 Tbsp mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip!)
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese (good quality cheese is not necessary)
2 tsp finely chopped green onion
2 tsp finely chopped parsley
1 pound salmon fillet

Combine the first four ingredients and mix well. Place the salmon fillet skin side down on a baking sheet or pan. Spread the mayo-parmesan mixture over the salmon flesh in an even layer. Bake at 425 degrees for ~10-12 minutes or until fish flakes easily and the topping is golden brown. If necessary, broil for 1 minute to brown the topping. Serve immediately.

NOTE- when I make this recipe with a smaller (or larger) pieces of salmon, I just mix equal parts mayonnaise and parmesan in amounts that match the surface area of the salmon I am cooking (and adjust the parsley and green onion as needed). Even with varying amounts or proportions that are slightly off, this recipe seems to still turn out beautifully. The trick is to not overcook the salmon! I also find this dish is best eaten straight out of the oven so tend to make smaller amounts more often and avoid leftovers. The photos show white Spring salmon but I think I prefer this dish prepared with Sockeye, which is a slightly leaner fish.  




2 comments:

Louise said...

I love the salmon series. It's going to become my "go to" spot for salmon recipes. Can't wait to try this one.

Stef said...

I'm so glad! I've set up a tag for just salmon recipes so that you don't have to sort through all of my other random cooking stuff. When my thesis is done, I'll try to set up some blog pages.

So glad you're enjoying the salmon.