Friday, February 3, 2012

Indian food part 1


Indian food is tough for those who can't have milk as it is laced with ghee (clarified butter) and cream. After some experimentation and recipe try-outs, I have come up with a dairy free version of Butter Chicken that's just as good. My secret is coconut milk but don't worry- you really can't taste the coconut with everything else. While I want to remain humble, I have to say that it's just delicious.



adapted from a few places (
serves 6-8

4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons oil (vegetable, grapeseed, olive or a mix)
2 Tablespoons curry powder
1 onion, very thinly sliced into inch long slices
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (14 oz) can coconut milk (full fat)
1 (28 oz) can stewed, crushed tomatoes
1 cup or 1 small (8 oz) can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
chopped cilantro


Cut chicken into into 1/2-inch chunks and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onions and reduce heat to medium-high. Cook onions until they become brown and slightly crisp. Add curry powder and garlic- cook 30 seconds more, stirring constantly. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil. Reduce heat to medium, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear. Add coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar stirring well to combine. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes.  Serve garnished with chopped cilantro over steamed Basmati rice with naan bread and Aloo Gobi (recipe coming next week) on the side. 
Chef Jeff sautéing chicken
Butter chicken served along with Aloo Gobi, Basmati rice with peas and naan bread

3 comments:

Louise said...

This looks delicious! Do you think it would be as yummy without the sugar? I could use Splenda, but wonder if the sweet is required given the coconut milk. Thoughts?

Stef said...

I think the sugar balances out the tomato and the curry but why not try it without? If you taste the sauce half way through simmering, you could add Splenda if needed.


Let me know how it works!

Lillian (My Recipe Journey) said...

I love curry dishes, especially chicken tikka masala! Would your recipe work with lite coconut milk instead of full fat?