Sunday, April 1, 2012

Toward Easter Part 6: Palm Sunday

To fit the joyous mood that accompanies Palm Sunday, our music today is boisterous, energetic and celebratory. Since we all celebrate in different ways, I've asked a few friends and family members to contribute the ways they worship and shout "Hosanna!" today. The result is a diverse and eclectic mix of music that, I think, shows the different ways we all approach worship. There are certainly a few pieces here I would not have found on my own, but that's the gift of being part of a community. Hosanna!

(click on the song title to hear the song)

Jeff's picks: Improvisation on All Glory Laud and Honor and Improvisation on Crown Him With Many Crowns (with a bit of Rule Britania?!?), both composed and performed by organist John Hong

Our cousin D's picks: The worship songs Hosanna by Paul Baloche and Hosanna by Michael W. Smith (which we both remember singing many, many times as teenagers!)

My mom's pick (which is actually my pick for a piece I know she'll love): Palm Sunday Hymns for handbell choir by Michael Ryan

Our nephew S's pick: Tim Hughes' modern rock version of O Happy Day

My dear friend and duet partner C's pick: Sana Sananina (which means "Praise the Lord!" in Swahili)

My picks: Rejoice! Your King is Coming by Larry Shackley and Hosanna to the King by Dan Forrest

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Fabulous!