Friday, December 9, 2011

13th day of Christmas

Jeff and I are not well connected to current pop culture and our music tastes obviously reflect this. There are however, a few Christmas tunes that have topped the Billboard charts over the course of our lifetimes that we really like. For this Friday the 13th, we're moving outside our classical comfort zone and have have put together a list of our favourite Christmas "hits" (I'm not sure we could have put together a more eclectic mix if we had tried!). Some of these are sentimental favourites, others are guilty pleasures. Hopefully, there will be something here you enjoy, too.

Sting I Saw three ships 
Susan Boyle Silent Night 
Goo Goo Dolls Better Days
Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, Neil Young & Linda Ronstadt Light in the Stable
She & Him Blue Christmas
Liza Minelli & Alan Cumming Baby it's Cold Outside 

Earlier this week, a good friends sent me a link of Mariah Carey's All I want for Christmas is you performed by the crew of HMS Ocean. Since then, the song has been in my head and I've caught myself humming it several times.  It makes me wonder- what Christmas hits are you humming this year?

Jeff requested another duo be included in today's post, arguing that since this pair has had way more airtime and mainstream popularity than any Christmas music of our generation, it's impossible to leave them out. I'm not sure that Chip and Dale qualify as "contemporary" but I'm not going to argue. Pass the popcorn and enjoy!



No comments: